Thursday, June 08, 2006

Harpers Ferry to 3 Miles East of Williamsport - June 4

Although I started off the day biking, I was able to get back into the water just west of Harpers Ferry around 7:00 A.M. At the boat landing I met two guys putting in their boat. Like most people, they were a little mystified by what I was doing, but also thought it was neat. They were on their way bass fishing and I packed everything into the canoe and was off. Paddling was good for the most part at first, but soon I was in rapid water and out of the canoe, dragging it through the current. I had to do this a few times between Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown. In the process I broke one of my carbon paddles and twisted my knee slightly. Also, found out, as I was putting my trailer back together I'd left behind a pin that held the front "V" of the trailer in place. This "V" holds the nose of the canoe to to the trailer. Finally figured a way to hold it in place with a small piece of wire I found. (First item lost on this trip, damn!)

As I was getting ready for towing, I met a couple from Annapolis and also two guys and a lady about my age. Nice folks.

I had to pedal until I got to what is called dam No.4 and was then able to put in above the dam. I was told I would have good slack water until almost Williamsport, so this was very good news. Bad news was it was the weekend and there were speed boats all over the place. Anyway, I was able to bounce my way on water for the rest of the day.

This was the first real chance to get a feel for the Kruger Canoe I'm using. It handles well and I think in the right conditions I can make some pretty good time. Although, I'm no expert on what it can and can not do for I only paddled it once across the lake I live on at home before I started this trip. (I figured I'd do my practice while on this voyage!)

Plans were to stop early, around 5:30, but as usual that did not work out and found myself paddling to dark simply because I could not find a campsite along shore. Finally I came to a boat ramp and pulled over. A guy told me I passed at least two campsites. Problem was you cannot see them from the water; only by hiking or biking the towpath. Nice to know. Good news was that another site was just ahead about 2 miles.

So good plans to stop early ended the way it does many times, setting up camp in the dark!

All in all it was a good day and glad I got some paddling in.

Off to bed

Note: By the way, that trailer pin I lost...I saw a couple and their son mowing grass along the way today and I went over with another pin from the trailer to see if they might have a bolt that would work for me. The guy said, "No, but how about a pin just like that!" My PCT trail partners, Phil and Chaz would like this one. If you read my PCT journal you know how worried Chaz was about getting down to Lone Pine for re-supplies. It was going to be a 20 some mile road walk. Chaz was mumbling the whole morning about it and I would say, "Chaz, don't worry, things will work out." Sure enough, we get to the trailhead parking lot to Lone Pine and here's this note pinned to a tree, "Any PCT hiker going into Lone Pine, could you please drive my car down to the ranger station and I will pick it up when I finish my hike!" Sometimes things just work out. Sometimes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home