Sunday, June 17, 2007

June 11 th: Lincoln, MT to Lowell, Idaho

It was still misting out when I awoke at 5:00 (it was light out well before 5:00), but the forecast was for clearing skies, plus it was a fairly warm mist so I decided to get started.

As I left Lincoln I was expecting my ride to be a gradual downhill into Missoula for that was the way I remembered it on my drive over. I was wrong! It was a very deceiving up and down for the first three quarters of the ride, plus I had a good wind in my face for most of the morning. On the good side, the scenery was spectacular and it made for a good hard day's workout.

I made it to Missoula around 3:30PM. In fact I was some 12 miles on the far side of Missoula in Lolo Springs having lunch, this being my first real stop except for taking a few pictures.

I was thinking of ending the day here, but I hear this little voice telling me you never stop until you get to the top of the hill. My Pacific Crest Trail friend from Australia, Phil Preston always said that when we were hiking together and he had a long ascent. Well, I was now facing a 32 mile ride to the top of Lolo Pass and needed to make a decision, which of course was, "You never stop until you get to the top of the hill!" So off I went and happy I did for the ride was not that tough. All but the last four miles was a very gradual ascent. The last four miles, however, seemed to be over 7 percent grade. In fact I had to stop a couple of times to rest which I hate to do, but finally made it to the top. Now it was 5 miles of downhill at the same grade I just came up. My goal now was to make it to the Lochsa Lodge resort at Lowell, ID (At Lolo Pass I entered Idaho and gained an hour in time).

What a fun five mile ride. I won't say how fast I was moving, but I do not think my little bike wheels could turn any faster.

Great ride today, beautiful scenery and I made close to 160 miles on my little bike. She's a beauty and rides as well as the bike I used when I went around the USA.

Good day's work and I'm at one of the most picturesque places I ever stayed. Very remote with a number of rustic cabins, a little grocery store and a nice lodge where I'm about to have a steak!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home