Sunday, June 17, 2007

June 12th Lochsa Lodge at Lowell, ID to Orofino, ID

Up at 5:00 AM and on the road at 5:30. What a beautiful morning and what a wonderful place Lochsa Lodge is. This will be a place someday I hope to come back to. Anyone that likes the outdoors in a semi-rustic atmosphere has many options here including excellent fishing and river rafting. One needs to put Lochsa Lodge as a destination.

It's 120 miles to Orofino and most is a gradual downhill ride. I hope to be there by early evening if all goes well. All did go well on my beautiful scenic ride to Lowell - 66 miles away. I stopped to take some pictures, which you can find in my photo album. I made it by 11:00 AM and had a great breakfast at the local cafe.

Here is where I met Dave who is from Alaska and is biking to Florida. I wasn't sure if he started in Alaska. We had a nice chat and he was somewhat surprised when I told him I came from Lowell on my little bike. He said he'd biked only 10 miles so far. As surprised as he was of my ride I know I would be going nuts if I'd only ridden 10 miles for a morning. I guess I cannot slow down because much of the day for me is having a good tough workout.

Well the rest of the day (about 45 more miles) was a lot tougher. Pedaling was a lot tougher all afternoon and figured it was because I may be going a little more uphill at times when it looked level. (Happens a lot in the mountains. You think you are on level ground and you are actually going up or down) Anyway, that was not the reason. When I finally did get to Orofino I found out that my back brakes where slightly rubbing! Darn, probably could have stopped and checked it out earlier.

Only the Barrazza's daughter was home when I arrived in Orofino. Lino and his wife Tracy were out of town at a Nez Perce Indian funeral and would be home tomorrow. So I went and found a place to stay and called it a day. In fact I felt it was a great 3 days, with a great ride over the Rockies that took two days less than I expected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home