Tuesday, July 25, 2006

July 20 - Car Ride from St.Charles to Kansas City

Jim and I left for Kansas City at around 10:00 in the morning. Just an enjoyable time reminiscing about old times. As I said in yesterday's blog, we go way back to actually kindergarden. First story I reminded him of was the story my mother tells of our first day of kindergarden when Jim took my rug that we all had to have for our mid-morning nap. I wonder if they still do that in kindergarden. Anyway, when it was time for my nap I could not find my rug and spotted this other boy resting on it. I went over to get my rug and then next thing I knew, the teacher sent me home. Jim wouldn't give me my rug so I guess I punched him in the nose and out the door I went.

Mom says when she got back home from doing errands after walking me to school I was sitting on the steps. Needless to say she was not very proud of me. (Hopefully that has changed since. She's still going strong at age 94!) Not sure if I'm the only one ever to get expelled from kindergarden, but I think I'm the only one from Barron, WI! Anyway all turned out okay and from that day on Jim and I have been great friends. He along with Ken McGrath from grade school have been very close for all these years. Lots of memories!

During the drive to Kansas City I also was thinking about my decision to do this stretch of the river in reverse order. In researching the internet I could find only one other person that attempted canoeing the Lewis and Clark journey by starting in St. Louis and going upstream. He had to do the same - go up to Yankton, SD and return downstream to St. Louis. Then go back to Yankton where they first dam on the Missouri is and continue on westward where the river becomes lakes and one is able to navigate again.

In any case I will find out tomorrow.

Back to stories. "Jim, remember when you loaned me your brand new bike and I rode it into that big oak tree.............."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home