Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Grand Tower, IL to Chester, IL - June 28th

I felt a little guilty doing so much unplanned biking yesterday, so about an hour after Bob left, I put my canoe in and paddled. I pretty much floated downstream rapidly about 5 or so miles, just to see how it was going to be paddle upstream. Tough, but doable. I am so high in the water that I cut though the current pretty good. I figured I was paddling at about maybe 3 miles per hour or less. Just about ones hiking pace on the PCT. This meant it was going to be a full day to get in about 25 miles. If I could do 25 miles a day, I could make it to St. Louis before I fly home.

The day went well. I put in at about 5:30 and I was on my way for my first full day on the Mississippi. Turns out things went better than expected. Once I figured how to avoid the heaviest current, I could make some time. Just needed to put a little more mustard behind the paddle! Plus there was no wind, which really helped.

I made it to Chester at about 3:00. Better than I expected. Mileage was somewhere around 25 to 30. Decided to take a motel here and get ready for the final push to St. Louis tomorrow and then home. Should be able to make it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home