Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Smithland Lock to Ferren Landing - June 26th

I wrote the last entry this morning before I pushed off.

It was tough to say good-by to Bob and Marcia. They went out of their way to do everything in their power to make my stay a comfortable one. Good part is that I will see Bob tomorrow at Mound City, IL. Part of my planning for the trip was to bike portage around Cairo. Supposedly it's tough paddling in that area, plus I have another big loop to go around. On Sunday, Bob, Marcia and I took a drive to scout out the best route over to the Mississippi. We decided that portaging from Mound City to Thebes, Il by way of Hwy 3 was the best. Bob said he'd meet me Tuesday and follow me across. Just like him and knew I couldn't say no, plus I knew I'd really enjoy the day with him along.

Trip went well from Smithland to Paducah. At Paducah I was to meet with a newspaper person, but it never worked out. So, at 2:00PM I decided to be on my way. (Can't wait forever!)

Winds have now picked up and the rest of the day was a tough paddle. Lot of white caps and heavy barge traffic around Metropolis made it worse. I think this was my preparation for the up stream current I will be facing on the Mississippi!

Finally found a place to pull over and set up camp just before dark. It was an unexpected boat landing on the Kentucky side of the river. There were a couple of trailers on the east side of the landing so I went over to the west side and found a nice level spot. I'd brought my paddles and gear up with me and then went back to secure my canoe and call Bob. As I was talking to Bob I turned around and here was a guy at the top of the landing getting out of his pickup with all my gear. At first I thought I was in big trouble, but after talking with him he said it was just fine to camp. Also said I almost lost my gear. He'd thought it belonged to some neighbors and was just about to go home with it when he decided to check the landing. Sure glad he did. Not sure what I'd have done if I went back up to where I left all my stuff and found it gone. No paddle, no nothing. It's a long enough journey, but to swim it!

Ronnie and Michelle Ferren own the land at this landing called Ferren Landing. After talking with Ronnie, he invited me up to their house for supper, which was a couple of miles away. Great meal and even better, I got to sleep in the camper at the landing.

Thanks Ronnie and Michelle, I will stay in touch. Like I've said, people have made this trip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home