Tuesday, July 25, 2006

July 21 - Kansas City to Waverly MO

Up at 5:00AM and down to the river at 6:00 and back to the motel by 6:30! It's raining and lightning.

Wasn't able to get started until noon today because of a front coming through.

Finally at around noon there was a break in the sky and Jim and I headed back to the river and I was able to push off a little before 12:30. The current was strong and I was feeling a whole lot better about going downstream. I said goodbye to Jim and off I was once more.

Jim plans to go to the Kansas City Royals game this evening and tomorrow and will meet me in St. Louis in 3 or 4 days. Sounded like he had good plans for that time, so off I went to do my thing.

Oh, was I moving! Along with the current and my paddling, I figure I was moving at 7 or 8 miles an hour. This current was different than what I experienced on the Mississippi. Not sure why but even along the shore there seemed to be much more current. I was able to go up the Mississippi because the current along the shore on it was not bad, but here it was different. Later on I will experiment with going the other direction, but right now because of the late start, I want to get in as many miles as I can. (Some things never change,,, push push push!)

Good first day. Did get a little rain, but by 2:00 the sun was out and only in the 70's which made for comfortable paddling. Plans were to take it easy today and set up camp around 7:00, but like most other days, at 9:00 and turning dark I was still looking for a place to camp! Of course between 7:00 and 9:00 there were many great sand bars I could have camped on, but I needed to go around the next bend and find a better one! Finally at about 9:15 (now getting dark) I found a small sand bar that had one flat spot about the size of my tent that would work.

First day is history and it felt good to be back on the river. Oh, and tomorrow I will set up camp earlier!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home