Wednesday, July 26, 2006

July 24 - Gasconade to St. Charles, MO

Great night's sleep and I did not hear any snoring! Jim got me back to Gasconade and I pushed off at 6:00AM.

We made plans to meet in Washington, MO, which was about 30 miles for me to paddle.

Made it to Washington around 10:30 and had lunch with Jim at a very nice waterfront park. Everything along the Missouri has some reference to Lewis and Clark and here was no different except it also noted that Daniel Boone was buried close by. In fact, on Jim's way to Washington he stopped at the site. This was Daniel Boone's initial burial site, but later his remains were sent back to Kentucky for his final resting place. He was 85 when he died. Heck, and I thought I wasn't going to learn a thing today!

Well, the end is near! Plans were to go all the way back to the arch in St. Louis, but decided to end where I left my gear and had biked to in St. Charles. It would take another day to get to St. Louis and to have Jim get me back to Kansas City and up to the first dam in South Dakota was asking too much of him. Plus he would have had to spend another day by himself. Besides, I've connected the dots as to where I left off. My only reason to go back to the arch was seeing the confluence of the Missouri and the Mississippi. That I would have done if my journey was following the entire Lewis and Clark adventure. Mine is to get from one ocean to the other non- motorized by paddle and bike portaging.

So, I finished the day with an easy paddle to St. Charles and we loaded up and headed back to Kansas City.

This section went quick and was fun. I met many nice people and having Jim helping me made it special.

Now it's time for more stories as we head back to Kansas City. We will go to the Kansas City Baltimore game tomorrow and then head to Gavins Point Dam in SD on Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home