Saturday, July 29, 2006

July 27 - Below the Gavins Dam to Sioux City

Back on the water. Jim dropped me off at around 6:00AM at my entry point and I was on my way with mixed feelings - glad I was back on the water but sad I had to leave my friend. Like I said in my last entry, Jim is a very special friend and I can not thank him enough . Like my friend, Bob Maxwell back in Grand Rivers, KY, Jim also knows I will always be there for him. Thanks my friend!

What a surprise today. On our drive up here I thought this would be a boring stretch of paddling, but it is the opposite. It's beautiful. Lots of trees along the river banks mixed in with beautiful homes and numerous places to camp.

The river is wider than it was on the stretch from K.C. to St Charles. Especially from Vermillion to Sioux City with lots of sandbars which show evidence that they are used for camping. Most likely locals spending weekends on the river camping.

I got to Sioux City around 6:00PM and pulled in to the Marina Inn on the Nebraska side, which is a beautiful motel on the river. I was able to get a room for a reasonable rate and decided to take it. Real reason to stay here is that all I had to do was pull my canoe up on some rock, climb over a railing and I was at the motel. Which means in the morning I will be able to get back on the water quickly after a nice rest in an air conditioned room! It was in the 90's today!!!

Time for a shower and maybe a nice steak!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home