Thursday, July 05, 2007

July 3rd: Camas to St. Helens, Or

Oh, was I looking forward to today, hoping for no wind and I got it. I got up at 5:00. Jim was still sleeping when I left for a walk. When I came back at about 10 minutes to 6:00, Jim was still sleeping so I decided to go down the street to eat at McDonalds. When I got back Jim was still sawing logs so I woke him up by saying, " Half the day is gone - let's get going."


At 7:30 I set off from the Camas Marina saying goodbye to Jim until I reach Asotria which I hope will be on July 6th. Jim has been unbelievable in following me around and always being there whenever I needed him. Now that the dams are over with, I told him go do your own thing for awhile. He agreed so I'm off feeling good that Jim will be able to enjoy himself.


What a great day. No wind to speak of and I have current, plus for most of the late morning and afternoon the tide was going from high to low which means I was picking up more current.


I made it to Portland around noon. As I paddled through I'd see many people walking along the shore or along walkways, plus many boats. There were a number of restaurants along the way with many people sitting out on decks having lunch and taking a glance down as I came back. They, like all along this trip, have no idea what I'm doing and I've often wondered how different this trip would be if they knew what I was doing as I paddled by. Personally, I am glad they do not. I like it just the way it is - that I meet people and they learn personally from me what I doing. Why? Well every time that happens I've gained new friends. I feel I've made many new friends and that has really made this trip.

It was getting close to 4:00PM and now I'm heading north as the the Columbia turns north at Portland/Vancover until I reach Longview, WA. Also the wind is picking up and the tide is now at the low point so paddling is becoming more difficult.


By 4:30 I reach St. Helens, OR and I notice this island with a small marina across from St. Helens. Also there are many tents set up all along this island that looks like its a good mile long. I figured with the wind as strong as it is that this would be a good place to pull in and take a rest.

As I brought my canoe up on shore, I asked a guy if this was a private place? He said no, that it was a St. Helens city park plus you can camp here for free. Well, that word, "free", sounded good so I thought just maybe I'd stop now and take advantage, which in a few minutes after meeting some of the people here made my decision easy to do so.


What a neat group. People went out of their way to help me in any way they could. Down on the marina there were many boats docked and all were having a great time partying. I got a great picture of the group that you will need to check out.


I'm glad I stopped, for again I feel I made friends with a real neat group of people. Someday I hope to come back. This is a neat area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home