Sunday, July 01, 2007

June 29th. Irrigon, OR to Biggs, OR

Jim and I picked up my gear in Irrigon and headed to the nearest restaurant for breakfast. The morning was beautiful and there was little wind so I'm hoping for a good day of paddling. This area all the way to The Dalles is a big wind surfing area, so getting through this section could be very tough, but right now it is relatively calm.


Jim lets me off at the boat ramp west of Irrigon and because the highway goes right along the river, we hope to meet around 3:00 PM . I say goodbye and I'm off. It feels good to be back on the water, conditions are good and I figure I can make it to Biggs by 7:00 or 8:00 PM - about 40-plus miles away.


Everything is going good until around 3:30. I'm feeling very lucky that I have little wind and am able to make good time. I figure I'm a little under 20 miles from Biggs when a breeze starts up. Then in about 30 minutes the little breeze is a 20 mile an hour wind and I'm back into high waves again. For the last hour I've been looking for Jim but do not see him. Also, because I figured I'd be meeting him I did not put my bike or trailer in my canoe so all I can do is pull over somewhere and hope he shows.


I continue to try and make headway but can make little, so I give up and pull over along the OR side of the river. Now this is the side where Jim is supposed to meet me. But the road is also a freeway so getting out and meeting Jim will be a slight problem. I now wish I had my bike and trailer. Big mistake!


Eventually, Jim calls my cell (very lucky to have reception where I am). I let him know approximately where I am and he tells me he's been back and forth in that area for the last hour and could not see me. I guess I must have looked like part of a wave or I was just out of sight when he passed.

Anyway I get my gear up over the riverbank, back across a railroad track and then over the barbed wire fence along the freeway and we head to Biggs where Jim has a room for us.


The day ended being about 15 miles short of Biggs, which also means I have 15 miles to make up because I will need to get back into the water tomorrow at the Maryhill State Park. It is across the river on the Washington side from Biggs. There are no entry points between where I got out and Biggs. Besides, I do not think the State Patrol will like it if he sees us re-entering alongside the freeway tomorrow!


All in all it was a good day. Even with the frustration both Jim and I had in not finding each other when things got tough, we both are still smiling.


I was back on the water and I felt good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home