Wednesday, July 04, 2007

June 30th: Biggs to The Dalles Dam and on to Seattle

Last night I was glad everything turned out okay. Although, honestly I was hoping for a better start upon my return. I knew this was going to be a tough area to get through, but I guess because I was so lucky on the dammed up lakes on the Missouri my luck would continue here. Not the case. Things have been frustrating. I have little patience when I cannot make the headway I expect and I have no patience at all to sit around.


On the good side, this morning the wind is only a breeze and I'm on the water at 6:00 AM. If I can get across this two or so mile wide area (favorite for the wind surfers) I should be more protected even if the wind picks up.


I made it with ease and the rest of the paddle was the best I've had since I hit the Columbia. Once I made it across the widest part I made a turn to the northwest and then back west and all the way to The Dalles Dam. The water was like smooth glass. (Check out picture)


I wasn't sure when I'd get to the Dam. I told Jim it could take until noon. My hope was 10:30, for this is the day we are going up to Seattle to watch the Seattle Mariners baseball team play the Toronto Blue Jays. Jim is a big baseball fan and has been to 34 major parks and has not been to the new park in Seattle. So that was part of the deal in his coming to pick me up - that we go up and watch a couple of games.


Well, for once luck was on my side. With the glass-like water I made it to the dam by 9:30 and we were on our way to Seattle by 10:30. Finally a good day of paddling and I'm quitting at 9:30!


I'm glad for Jim we are going to be able to make the game tonight. We also will watch the afternoon game tomorrow and then head back to continue to the Pacific.


Note: Must admit all day long I thought about how many miles I could have made today. Stupid!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home