Thursday, July 05, 2007

July 4th: St. Helens to Just past Longview, WA

Last night, just before bed I asked Dennis (Dennis really knows this river and gave me a river map and showed me what lies ahead for me) if this wind will continue tomorrow. He said, "No, it normally starts around late afternoon and blows all night, but in the morning it will be calm." Well, I was up and on the river by 6:00 and that wind, well it was still blowing! Good thing was that I could get along the Oregon shore and be a little bit protected, plus I have the tide going out which will help big time.


At about 1o:ooAM I was approaching Kalama, WA when the wind was really getting tough, so I decided to pull over and take a break. There were a number of fishermen along the shore (this time of year they are fishing for steelhead) and I asked one if this wind would die down. He said it usually does soon and then picks back up in the late afternoon.


Well around 12:30 it died down some so I continued on my way. I had only about 10 miles to go until I reach Longview and then I turn west again with the hope the wind will not have as much as an effect as it does now coming straight out of the north. I figure when I turn I will be protected more. Not the case. When I made my turn the wind also decided to turn, it is now out of the west. Paddling was tough so at around 6:30 I decided to stop at Fisher Island and set up camp. Fisher Island is just west of Longview and I figured I still can make it to Astoria on the 6th, plus it was the Fourth of July and I could relax and watch the Longview fireworks.


Time for a quick dip in the river, have dinner and relax for the second day in a row with an early finish to the day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home