Monday, June 26, 2006

Grand Rivers, KY - Monday June 26th

Two days of rest went by way too quick. Bob and Marcia Maxwell have been great hosts. (Expect nothing less) They've been friends for a number of years. First time I met Bob was around 1972 when Marcia brought him to Minneapolis and introduced him at a party. He'd brought along a jug of his dad's homemade "Kentucky Corn Syrup" (if you know what I mean) and two days later all I can remember is I knew I had a true friend! Seriously, Bob and I hit it off from the beginning. He's very much like me and without saying a word each of us knows the other is always there for him!
Also over the weekend two of their daughters were home. Lissa, who is not married and Cammie along with husband Randall and children, Marshall and Ariel. Great to see them. Beautiful family, although it made me want to get home to my own, which I will be doing on the 3rd of July. Bob and Marcia also have another daughter, Tracy who I believe lives out in Denver. She is battling ovarian cancer and doing well. As of now doctors expect a full recovery. My wife, LuAnn has had her own battle and has conquered breast cancer. So, I know what Bob, Marcia and the rest of the family are going through and my prayers are with them.
So far I figured I've traveled 998 miles, about a 50 mile average. It will be interesting to see how that goes when I turn and go upstream on the Mississippi.
The Ohio was not a difficult river to navigate. Water was usually calm, unless a barge was going by. Once you got beyond its banks the scenery was beautiful. All along the banks you'd find garbage of all kinds. This was due to flooding. The Ohio can flood for miles inland and when it recedes it brings everything with it and it just piles up over the years along its bank. Also, the shore is usually at about a 45 degree angle and then goes straight up as much as 30 or 40 some feet, which made it difficult to find a level camp spot! (I'm going to miss this bed at the Maxwell's!)
Last night we ate supper at Bob and Marcia's friends: Darryl and Kay Armstrong's. Another great meal. Really enjoyed meeting them and they have a beautiful house nestled in the woods along Barkely Lake (part of the Cumberland River).
I have many interesting stories and met many interesting people and will elaborate more on them when I finish this year's trip.
Although, one story keeps popping into my mind that I'd like to share now.
Not long ago, as I was preparing to get into the water an isolated boat ramp, two children, Michael, about 4 and Audrey, about 7 were playing by themselves at the ramp. They came over and asked if I had any catfish. I said, "No, but I do have a candy bar." Well, they helped me put my canoe in the water and then I thought I better get them back to wherever their parents were. Turns out mom was up cleaning catfish with some guy at least 25 years older than her and as Michael, said, we do not know where dad is. Anyway, we chatted a little longer as I finished getting ready. Then I walked them back up the bank to where mom and the other fellow were cleaning catfish in about 95 degree weather. The kids asked if I'd play with them for awhile, which I did, then we sat and had a glass of water together before it was time to go. I told them I had to leave and they asked their mother if they could walk me back down to the river, which mom said was okay. As we walked back I keep wondering to myself if these two really had a chance to be all that they could be. (Also thinking how lucky I am to have the family Lu and I do) They both seemed bright and this setting (worse than I've described) was not good. Just before I pushed off I gave them both a big hug and told them to always be a caring person. Audrey's eyes told me she understood. Michael, well, he may have a tough road unless a teacher, coach, or someone takes him under his wing.
As I pushed off and got down the river a little bit, I turned and looked back and they were still standing by the bank, waving. I just wish I could have put them in my canoe and taken them with me.
It's about 7:30 and time to leave for the Smithland locks and continue this journey. Just want to thank all the people I've met along the way for their friendship and help. Best to all back home and I'm looking forward to July 3rd when I head home for awhile. Right now I have a little more paddling to do. I told Bob and Marcia I'm going to try and back off a little. Plans are to get no further than St. Louis in the next 6 days, which means I should have time to smell the roses, as a friend once told me. We'll see how long it lasts! Heck, I'll make it a goal, that should work!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home