Saturday, June 24, 2006

Lewisport , KY to east of Newburgh, IN - June 21

Nice morning and a very good rest last night on a level bed rather than a 45 degree river bank!

I put in the water around 5:45AM with the goal to make it to Evansville, IN.

Paddling was very good today with very little strong wind and I was making good time even by stopping every two to two and half hours to stretch.

I came through Owensboro about noon and pulled over to the Indiana side to have lunch. Must have been a little tired for two hours later I awoke to waves from a barge slamming against my canoe.

Continued on my way and around 4:30 I heard this big boom way off in the distance, like a stick of dynamite going off. Later I heard it again and figured it was kids somewhere down the river having an early start to the 4th of July.

I came around an island and saw another trailer park on the inside of the river and decided to paddle over and see if I could get some fresh water and some info on what was ahead. I did get the water and they told me a couple of miles down river there was a marina and they thought I might get a sandwich there.

As I approached the marina, two 4 wheelers were coming down to the boat ramp where three or four others were standing. As I paddled over, all of a sudden I hear this loud bomb again, it just rattled everything around. Found out why - the kids were playing with the firecrackers!

I wasn't sure if I should paddle over or not after that, but decided to anyway.

I introduced myself and told them all about what I was doing and all of sudden everyone at the marina was down checking my canoe and gear out.

Turns out one of the guys, Larry Masters, was a good friend of Bob and Marcia Maxwell, the friends I plan to meet in Paducah. (Small world) These people were so much fun and were treating me so well that my plans to reach Evansville went right down the drain. I stayed there for the evening and filled up on some of the best barbeque cooking I've tasted, plus one story after another.

Another great day and better evening spent with good folks. (Evansville can wait!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home