Wednesday, June 21, 2006

West of Louisville to Wolf Creek - June 19

Long day today. Paddled to Brandenburg, KY and then hooked everything up to my bike for a late day bike portage to Wolf Creek. Did have some rain today on the river and some wind but nothing outrageous, just a good Boundary Waters type rain and cloudy day.

The reason I got out at Brandenburg is because for the last few nights, when I look at my maps I see this big loop of the Ohio up into IN that has been driving me nuts! I like to think in straight lines, which is hard to do on this river, but this is one time I did. So, I followed the Ohio along highway 228 to just short of Wolf Creek. This took until about 9:30 or so. Very nice pedal with a few hills, but nothing major. All the way there was a big threat of nasty looking thunderstorm clouds all around me. Back at Brandenburg, I was told a nasty front was coming in sometime this evening.

Figured I better find a decent place to camp, so decided on setting up next to an old vacant barn that was just off the highway and I figured fairly close to Wold Point.

Did get a good shower just after I had everything setup, but the big thunderstorm never materialized.

Plans are to put in another big day tomorrow. It gets light earlier now. (Close to central time zone) So I can get going around 5:00 or 5:30. That is, if I can get out of bed. I've been known to get up at the crack of noon back home!

Good day's work today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home