Monday, June 19, 2006

Patriot, IN to north of Bethlehem, IN - June 17th

IT IS HOT! It must be close to 100 and the humidity is getting high. Did make good mileage though. Most of it in the morning and late afternoon. At about 6:00 P.M. the wind started to pick up and the sky's become very threatening. Did get some rain, but nothing severe.

You can tell it is the weekend, lots of speed boats and jet skis out, which makes for interesting bobbing around on my part, but I can deal with it and this Kruger Canoe handles rough water very well.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but the canoe I'm using was designed by Verlen Kruger who holds the record for long distance touring. I found out about it from Dan Smith of Portland, MI, a very avid canoeist and close friend of Verlen's.

Verlen passed away a few years ago, but he once did a 28,000 mile canoe trip over a four year period. It makes this trip of mine sound like a Sunday day on the lake! Verlen was a very interesting person. I wish I'd had the chance to meet him. Another close friend of Verlen's and noted canoeist, Mark Przedwojewski, now builds this craft and for many years worked with Verlen. Mark, your craftsmanship is excellent and I'm glad I made the choice of Kruger Canoe for this trip. At least I feel like I'm doing okay mileage wise. I know I'm not in your league Dan and Mark, but we are still upright! You can learn more about Verlen Kruger at: www.krugercanoes.com

Well, time for bed. I just heard it's supposed to be a chance of thundershowers tomorrow. Maybe they will miss me. That would be a good Father's Day present!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home