Monday, June 12, 2006

Parkersburg to Bellevelle Dam - June 9th

WTAP TV did their interview with me at 1:30 and must have taken video and interviewed me for about 45 minutes. After the interview I walked about a mile to get sometime to eat. Walking does my knee good although it still tightens up a little.

Well, I shoved off at 3:20 for my first stretch on the Ohio. Dave (owner of Dave's Marine where I've put in) said it was about 20 miles to the first lock. I was sure I could make it that far, but at least I had a reference point. Water was very calm so I figured this short day of paddling would be a good break in the day. I was wrong! Turned a corner in about a quarter of the mile and the winds picked up and I was bobbing around like a plastic bottle for the next two hours before the wind died down.

Once the wind died it was a very peaceful journey. I paddled until about 7:30 and to my surprise I'd paddled to the first lock at Belleville. I didn't want to go through that late in the evening, so I paddled over to the WV side of the river to what looked like a campground. Turns out the people lease a camping spot for $185.00 a year. Very neat. It's like a little family of campers. Everyone knows each other and gets along great. Anyway, they invited me to stay the evening. Great people and helped me in every way possible. One gentleman (hopefully he sends me his name) called the lock to see what I had to do to get through the lock in the morning. Turns out I just had to paddle up, pull a chain and wait until it opened.

Before I turned in another couple (again hoping for names) invited me for brats. Couldn't turn that down!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home