Monday, June 12, 2006

Belleville Dam to Pomeroy - June 10th

Awake at 6:00. No one else was up, so I made a little oatmeal and pushed off at 7:00. When I arrived at the Belleville Lock another fishing boat was waiting to go through. Glad they were there so I did not look like a total idiot the first time doing this.

The Six brothers were going through to fish sauger below the dam. They'd been doing very well. Sauger is a relative of the walleye that we have back in Wisconsin. It's a very good eating fish, although the Six brothers said you do not eat fish from the Ohio river!

Once through the lock, which was a piece of cake, I had a very peaceful day of paddling. Plans were to paddle until about 6:00 and find a camp spot. But, as my plans go I paddled until 8:00, going through another lock and I believe making over 50 miles.

Again, I was able to camp at another campsite as the night before. It was getting dark and I noticed this same type of campsite on the WV side again so I paddled over to see if I could get lucky two nights in a row. I did! (Again I'm hoping for names.) A very nice family invited me to stay at their site. They had just purchased it and were only working on putting in a dock and then going back home for the evening. They'd been on a waiting list for a few years and finally were able to buy a lot.

Again, very nice family, and went out of their way to help. Had a very good chat before they went home.

Off to bed at about 9:30 after a good day of paddling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home