Friday, June 16, 2006

Ashland, KY to Manchester, OH - June 13th

What a difference a night makes! I was really down last night. On such trips you mentally get down every so often and you must fight through it. But last night I was more than mentally down. I was really hurting physically, which normally does not bother me. But my knee was swollen and lower back was killing me. I felt like an old man! Going to and from the library to do my journal entries took for ever and I must have looked like a 90 year man shuffling down the road. To say the least, I went to bed really having second thoughts on what the heck I was doing out here.

Morning came and Iwas okay again. My knee was fine and my back felt great. Problem is I push too hard. Yesterday I paddled for over 7 hours straight and most of the time on this trip I go 4 to 5 hours at a time. I know better, but just do it anyway.

So the plan today is to start out pedaling for about ten miles. Pedaling for some reason really helps the knee. (It gets stiff when I sit in the canoe for a long period of time). Although it helps the knee and even boredom, I really do not make any faster time. I can pedal at about 6 miles an hour dragging my gear and I have more energy than I do paddling, but it is a good change.

Then for the rest of the day I took 10 to 15 minute breaks and still had my best mileage day, which I believe is around 7o miles and feel good.

I stopped in Manchester, OH and met Jennie and Jerry Edwards who were out on their Harley. Very nice couple and told me of a good place to eat just down the road called Aggie's Steakhouse.
They were on their way there and invited me to come along, which I did.

Very glad I did. Tracy Laney owns Aggie's. It serves great food, as good as I've had on this trip. Also met Gary Hughes, Mary Fazzio, Sissy Calvert, Katy Byineton and Tye & Lynne Spires. Really had a great time. Even had a bed for the night. Tracy had a camper out back and let me sleep in it for the night.

Thanks, everyone. Your hospitality and friendship came along just at the right time. I'm fired up again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home