Monday, June 12, 2006

East of Huntington to Ashland, KY - June 12th

Plans changed! I started out at 7:00 with the idea of paddling to Huntington and hooking up my canoe trailer and bike and finding a motel. Did get to Huntington just before noon, but figured, heck let's shoot for Ashland. Glad I did, for just before Ashland was a small community called South Point. A better name would be BARGE POINT. There were barges all over the place and the barge boat pushers going up and down the river with no care of me bouncing around like a cork. I'll bet these things stretched along both sides of the river for over 10 miles. They made huge waves, so it was a bit of a challenge.

By the way, the other locks that I have gone through after Belleville were the Racine Lock and the Gallopolis Lock.

Finally got to Ashland at about 3:30 and glad I made the choice knowing the city barge trek is over.

I'm staying at a very nice motel in Ashland. As I was pedaling my canoe up the road to town I met a man with his grandson. They suggested I stay at the motel about a block away, saying it was the best in town and gear would be safe there. After a nice chat and a picture with the grandpa and grandson I pedaled over to the motel figuring this was going to cost me $100.00!Normally I find something for $45.00 or less. Yes, I'm cheap! To my surprise it is only $65.00! It easily would be over $100.00 in a larger city, but who am I to complain!

Plans are to push off in the morning around 8:00, although this is a very nice motel!

I figure I will be in Cincinnati by Thurs. Moving faster than I figured. I thought I may not get to Cincinnati until close to the end of June. I feel good and if weather holds I may make to the Mississippi by the end of June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home