Saturday, July 29, 2006

July 29 - Little Sioux to Bellevue

Feeling good this morning! Last night I was not looking forward to today, but now I feel great.

I got on the water by 6:00 and had a great morning of paddling. The wind is not as bad as yesterday and the humidity is a lot better which made for a delightful morning's paddle. Plus I saw my first turkey this morning. I had a flock of about 8 turkeys walking along the river's edge. Also, saw a couple of deer and a number of geese.

At about noon I started to get a lot of speedboat traffic. I was getting close to the Dodge Park boat landing which is just outside of Omaha. The closer I got the more boats, jet skis and water skiers I met. Pretty much bobbing around like a cork. As I turned a corner in the river I could see the landing and quickly understood why there was so much traffic. Dodge Park has a huge boat landing area. In fact there is so much traffic they have three ramps. Boats everywhere.

I pulled into one of the ramps wondering what the best strategy would be to continue on.

As luck has it my question was quickly answered. Dodge Park also was the right on the Riverfront Bike trail that goes through Omaha. So, after a bite to eat I set up for the bike portage. Now this was some bike trail. It was all concrete and 10 feet wide. After a mile or two I came upon bike information sign that had bike trail maps. Turns out the trail is not totally finished but gave the route to take on roads where need be. It also should cut off the two big loops that I would have had to paddle! So, what would have taken probably six hours of paddling turned into two hours of bike portaging to a nice motel on the south side of Omaha. Oh life is good today! Nice shower, nice cool room, good meal. I wonder if I'll get so lucky that tomorrow brings less heat and less wind! Probably asking too much.
Oh well , I will deal with that tomorrow and enjoy the evening. (Wonder why I did not see anyone else biking today. Maybe it had something to do with the 101 degree heat posted on a bank I passed!)

Shucks,,, just saw on TV that it's going to be over 100 the next two days!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tree said...

Wow! What a great adventure! I just came on to your blog in a random way but so glad I found it. Wish I had known about it earlier, I would've looked for you in Cincinnati. Best of luck.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home