Monday, August 21, 2006

August 20 - Platte Creek to Chamberlain

Very good morning but not so good afternoon.

Morning paddle was great with light winds at my back and I was making very good time. Then at around 2:00 the winds picked up and I started to bounce like a cork. Much like when I was in heavy barge traffic on the Ohio. Only relief I would get was when I rounded a corner that blocked the south wind.

Late in the afternoon I spotted a canoe on the east side of the shore so I pulled over. There was a young man in a rubber raft-like canoe, loaded with more gear than I thought possible to still keep the craft afloat. He was just beat. I'd seen the look before on the PCT trail when a hiker just had had enough. Turns out this guy (never got his name) was from Florida and started two months ago in Glasgow and plans to quit when he got to Sioux City. He said he was making about 20 miles a day. I asked how he was doing and his response was, "I hate these lakes!"

I did not stay long. He was really down and there was no way I could cheer him up. I just told him things are going to get better once you reach the Randall Dam.

As I left I just thought to myself - what would I do if I only made 20 miles a day? I'd go nuts!

Well, as I continued so did the winds. They continued to pick up and by 3:00 I was riding 4 to 5 foot surfs! I felt like I was body surfing on the ocean. Still felt safe, but knew I needed to get off the water soon because it looked like storms in the west, and if the wind got any stronger I'd be swimming.

At about 4:30 I found a little bay with what looked like an abandoned boat ramp. I pulled in and proceeded to make camp , but as I did a car came down the road. Turns out it was a game warden just checking the area. He said he hadn't been to this ramp in over two weeks because it was rarely used any more and he was surprised to see me.

He told me to hunker down good because severe weather was headed this way. Also said if I wanted to throw my gear in the back of his truck he'd take me to Chamberlain. I said I couldn't do that but asked how far away Chamberlain was. He said, "about 6 or 7 miles!" That was that. I hooked up my bike (warden watched in amazement) and pedaled to Chamberlain.

I found a motel just off I-90 and went in to see what it would cost. The guy said, "$99.00!" I told him I could not afford that because I was on a very tight budget and started to leave. He saw that I was on a bike and had this canoe and asked what I was doing. When I told him, he said, "How about $60.00 and a jacuzzi suite!"

Things turned out well again. Storm hit with very high winds and old Coach is bathing in his Jacuzzi!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home