Tuesday, August 08, 2006

August 3rd - Atchison to east of Leavenworth

Awake at 4:30, again realizing I did not need to leave early, so I went back to sleep. This motel stuff can make one lazy! Finally got up and out the door at 9:30. Pedaled down to McDonald's for breakfast and made a stop at the library to check e-mails before going to the boat ramp.

I got everything packed up into the canoe and was on my way again at around 11:30. It was good to be back on the water again. Very delightful morning. Now that I have only two short days of paddling left I have good conditions! Temperature is only supposed to get into the 80's today and the humidity is way down. I also have a nice breeze at my back for the first time since I left Yankton.

Just a nice lazy day of paddling. Did not see another watercraft on the river. Although I did meet Dennis, who calls himself the "River Rat". He was working along the shore at his cabin when I paddled by. He's a carpenter by trade but hopes to retire soon to this river place and start seeking his life's dream of catching a 100lb Blue Catfish. He's had a couple in the 70lb range but knows there's a 100 pounder out there waiting for him. Nice guy and saw him later on the water scouting the shoreline for places to fish.

So I am making camp early today. It's only 7:00PM and I'm on a nice sandbar just south of Leavenworth, KS and I believe within 20 to 25 miles of Kansas City. I even have a baseball to play catch with. From somewhere a baseball has washed up on this sandbar.

Well, you all (I've been in the south too long) have a nice evening. I'm going to relax with a nice bath in the muddy Missouri and do a Sudoku puzzle or two, read a little and get lost in my thoughts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home