Tuesday, August 08, 2006

August 4 -Sandbar by Leavenworth to Kansas City

Interesting evening last night. Very relaxing. I did take that swim in the Missouri and even completed all six of my Sudoku puzzles without mistakes. Went to bed at sundown watching the stars and waiting for the Big Dipper to appear. Then at about 10 I heard a loud siren that lasted for about 5 minutes. After that a couple of helicopters came over. Things settled down, only to hear off in the distance what sounded like race cars which lasted for another hour. At about 12 the first of two large cargo planes came over my head with the intention of landing close by.

In the morning I quickly found out the answers. The Kansas airport is within a couple of miles as the crow flies and for some reason these two planes came from a different direction than the other planes that flew over earlier in the evening. Also by looking at my map there seems to be a race track close by. The siren, well I found out the answer to that when I started paddling. Just, and I mean JUST around the corner from my campsite, the river borders one of the many prisons in the area. Wonder if anyone escaped last night!

Paddled into Kansas City at Kaw Point Landing just after noon. Kaw Point is just around the corner on the Kansas River which joins the Missouri in the heart of Kansas. I did not leave from this landing when I went to St. Louis. I left from a landing about 10 miles to the east of here so I was unfamiliar with Kaw Point. My impression was that it would be a beautiful landing being in the heart of Kansas City and at the spot where the Kansas and Missouri Rivers joined. It was not. Kaw Point is located in the heart of Kansas City's industrial district. River factories and warehouses all over. Even at the landing there was a lot of garbage in the river. Disappointing but it does look like they are making an effort to clean it up and make a nice park. It has the potential of being a great place. The view of Kansas City is spectacular from here. I suspect funding is the reason for it being a work in progress.

Well, the lower Missouri River section is history. Again I met many nice people and was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of this section. I'm also now happy with my decision to paddle it downstream. Atlhough I had the heat and headwinds to battle I still made great time. It would have taken maybe a month or probably more to do it upstream. However, I do believe it is possible if one wanted to spend the amount of time it would take to do it. To do it one would be paddling at a hiking pace of about 2 and a half miles an hour or less. Maybe sometime in the future I will attempt it!

Anyway, now I must pedal the 8 to 10 miles to my motel and get ready to drive my gear back to Yankton, SD.

I weaved my way through this industrial area and over the highway 69 bridge crossing the Missouri without incident. I have my transportation all set for tomorrow to take my gear to Yankton, SD and will fly home on Sunday the 7th of August in time to help prepare for The Ryan Hoff Memorial Youth Foundation Golf Scramble which will be held August 12th.

I will be back in Yankton on August 17th and start paddling to Mandan, ND on the 18th. Mandan is about 500 miles away and it will be my stopping point for this year. So far the trip has been more enjoyable than I figured. Best part has been everyone I've met. So many nice people and everyone always willing to help when needed. Thanks to all!

I will give an update next week before I head back to Yankton.



.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home