Wednesday, August 16, 2006

August 16th HOME - BACK TO YANKTON TOMORROW

I will be flying back to Yankton tomorrow, Thursday, August 17th and plan to start paddling to Mandan, ND on Friday.

The time off has been good for me. I'm well rested and anxious to get back. Even got a few chores done around the house!

Ryan Hoff Memorial Golf Tournament was a great success. We raised over $12,000.00, which is down a little from the last two years, but still very good considering the economy. We are excited about the direction the foundation is going. This fall the foundation will be awarding the incoming 9th grade class at Superior High School $5000.00 and given the chance to manage the money under the direction of their class advisors and administration for their 4 year high school careers. Then upon graduation they will vote as a class how they want their proceeds to be used in our community. The original $5000.00 will then transfer to the next incoming 9th grade class. The foundation over the next 4 year will give each incoming 9th grade class $5000.00 upon which time the project will be self supporting.

We also are exploring ways to use the school district's school forest in creating a type of "out- reach" learning center. The hope is to give our youth the opportunity to experience a variety of lifelong learning activities.

Thanks to all who sponsored and or participated in the tournament. Superior is a great community. LuAnn and I cherish the support and love you've given our family and we hope the foundation is one that all can be proud of.

I will have about 500 river miles to get to Mandan and hope to do it in two or less weeks. The key will be wind, for now I will be paddling the first three lakes of the Missouri starting with the Lewis and Clark Lake in Yankton. Lake Oahe looks like it will be the most challenging. Sounds like waves can get 5 feet and higher on this lake and can come up very quickly. From reading about other canoe and kayakers doing this section you could be windbound for days. Just have to play it by ear and hope my luck is good.

Depending on when I get to Mandan, I may decide to go a few more miles to the Garrison Dam. My goal is to be done by Labor Day so if my luck is good and I can get through Lake Oahe, that will be my stopping point for this year. Then in the spring of 2007 I continue to the Pacific. I did play with the thought of continuing and trying to go all the way to the Pacific this year (I believe I could make it) but it's time to go home and spend some quality time with family before winter sets in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home