Saturday, June 02, 2007

June 1, 2007: Garrison Dam to just south of Washburn, ND

Yesterday it took about 8 hours for us to get to Sheyenne, ND which is just south of Devils Lake, ND. My cousin, Gary Hoff, bought a small house in Sheyenne a few years back because he and his brother love fishing Devils Lake summer and winter. Gary brought along his neighbor boy, Chaz Dayton who just graduated from high school and his dog, Rambo. Just a little crowded in his pickup, but we managed!

We were up at 6:00 AM and on the road by 7:00 with a good 3 hour drive to Garrison Dam. I decided to go from Garrison to Bismarck because of my concern for the current and it was easier for Gary to get me to Garrison.

At about 10:30 AM and after saying my goodbyes to Gary and Chaz, I was on my way. It felt good to be back. The day's paddle was fairly easy for the first day. There was a good current, but I believe I could have made it going upstream, but that's hindsight and now it's time to focus on the present.

By 2:00 PM I stopped for lunch and figured I'd gone about 15 miles. My goal was to get as close to Washburn, ND as possible, but at this point I wasn't sure, for the sky was darkening and it looked like thunderstorms were approaching. So, I figured I'd go as at least as far as I could and pull out if I saw any lightning. As it turned out it only rained and I was at Washburn around 5;30 PM soaked and wet and was not looking forward to setting up camp in the rain.

Well, as luck has it, the sky started to lighten and within a half hour the sun was out. By 7:00 PM I was dry and decided to set up camp before another storm came. Setting up camp at 7:00 PM, with over 2 hours of daylight! I must be getting old! All in all, a very good day.

Note: Just want to thank my cousin Gary for all that he did in getting me out here and seeing that I got off to a good start. I hope you caught lots of fish and I will see you at Ryan's golf tournament. A very special man.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodi Rochon said...

Your at it again. :) Good for you! I will say over and over again Larry, you are AMAZING!! You are an inspiration to me and so many others. There are so many people who are proud of you. Most importantly I'm sure you are proud of yourself. Yes, it is okay to admit that Larry, you have a lot of reasons to be.

I want to that this opportunity to thank you for coming to my brother Ronny's funeral. How nice it was to see your sweet face and adorable smile as I walked into the church hall for the ceremony. That was very thoughtful Larry, you are truly a gem. I will always think of you that way.

Wishing you continued success on your journey. I will be checking in on you often and praying for your safety. :::hugs from a hometown girl:::

Jodi Rochon (Sundet)

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home