Wednesday, August 30, 2006

August 27th - Shaw Landing to Beaver Creek Low Water Landing

Good weather again today but a real tough day. Current kept getting stronger the more Lake Oahe narrowed. By the time I reached the Beaver Creek area it was very strong with lots of debris and even logs floating past me. In order to make headway I had to stay close to the shoreline. Next to the shore the current dies and even seems to turn and go upstream. I experienced this on the Mississippi which allowed me to paddle against the current.

Problem now is going to be that this river has really narrowed and most of the shoreline is marshland with lots of sandbars and little grassy islands. Staying in the open channel and using the shoreline to one's advantage is going to be difficult.

At day's end I pulled into Beaver Creek's low water landing and met Chuck and Randy (did not get last names). They were from the Billings, Montana area and for the last couple of years have come down to this area to fish walleyes. The last two years they've had great success, but so far this trip they have not. They told me that a few days ago they're releasing more water from the Garrison Dam because of the extreme low water levels on Lake Oahe. Supposedly the plan is to keep releasing water until the middle of next week. Both guys felt it was going to be tough and even dangerous to get from Beaver Creek to Hazelton because of the sandbars and mud flats.

They were camped north of here near the Hazelton Boat Ramp about 18 or so miles upstream and offered to take me around this area. Couldn't do that, but did ask if they could take me up to the ramp and then I'd do this section backwards and bike back up. They said they would but didn't think I'd want to bike back. For one reason they said it's a tough 3 or 4 mile dirt road out to the highway from this landing. So said they would gladly give me a ride back in the morning. They would plan to come down and fish here in the morning until I got here.

So, we packed my gear into their pickup and tied the canoe in with about two thirds of it sticking out over the tailgate and off we went.

Once again, just when I needed help it was there. Many times I've been asked, "Aren't you worried about running into trouble?" My answer is, "No, but I do wonder how I can pay back all the great people that have help me." Chuck and Randy are two of so many great people I've met and I'm indebted to so, so many.

Time to find the Big Dipper and count my blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home