Wednesday, August 30, 2006

August 28th - Hazelton to Beaver Creek and then to Bismarck

Great day today. Up early after a great night's sleep. Got on the water and headed back downstream to Beaver Creek. Current was fast - as fast or even faster than the lower Missouri. In fact the 18 or so miles I had to paddle I was able to do in about an hour and a half, and I could have been done quicker if it were not for moving in and around sandbars.

I did have one bad thought: what if Chuck and Randy are not there? The road out of Beaver Creek Landing on bike would be tough, in fact almost impossible. But what little worry I had was quickly answered as I neared the landing. Chuck and Randy were there. They were as excited to see me as I was to see them. Heck, they'd even caught a few walleyes while waiting.

We loaded everything up and headed back to Hazelton. On my way back I told them of my new plan. Because of the current, (and it was going to be like this all the way to Bismarck), I was going to pedal to Bismarck and in the morning do the same thing as we did today.

They said they'd give me a ride to Bismarck if I wanted, but I said no, I had the day to get there and it give me something to do rather than sit around twiddling my thumbs all day. They said, "But it's about 30 miles!" I said, " I know!"

I know they could not understand this, as most people probably can't. How anyone would want to bike 30 miles, dragging a canoe after just paddling 18. Not sure I understand.

Said goodbye to Chuck and Randy and started towards Bismarck. Ride went well and quicker than I figured. Hills were easy to negotiate and I bet I did not have a dozen cars pass me. About 14 miles from Bismarck a lady came out of her house and took my picture and with about seven miles to go the most amazing thing happened. The Mayor of Bismarck and his wife were waiting to greet me! Well, maybe that is not quite true. As I was pedaling by Mary College, two bikers were stopped along side the road. I stopped to say hello and found out it was the Mayor of Bismarck and his wife. (It makes for a better story the other way)

Both were very interesting people. Mayor John Warford was from Bemidji, MN and Jenny, his wife, was from Delano, MN. Both have done many similar adventures as I'm doing. They've run marathons, climbed a number of mountains and have done a number of bike tours. Great people, and without knowing the political climate of Bismarck, am sure John and Jenny are well respected. I sure hope upon my return I get to see them again.

Once I got to Bismarck I headed down to the marina to check it out for tomorrow's paddle back to Hazelton. I even put into the water and had a few pictures taken of me as I paddled around. Current was even swifter here, for I found that in a matter of minutes while taking pictures I'd floated a good distance downstream and it was a struggle to get back to the landing.

All but done now. Tomorrow's paddle should go quick and then I will pedal back to this marina and meet my friend Jim for my ride back to Superior.

It will be good to get home. Wonder if anyone has split and cut my 10 cord of wood!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home