Saturday, August 26, 2006

August 23 - Pierre to 212 Bridge

Ready to go at 6:00 AM and it's still dark out. I'm real close to the mountain time zone and it stays darker longer in the morning, but on the other end I have more light later in the day.

Decided to go across the street and have breakfast at Hardees before I start pedaling to my entry point above the Lake Oahe Dam.

Well, it's 6:30 and still a little dark, but I'm off. I have some hill climbing to do so I might as well get that done before the morning traffic starts, plus it is cool right now. Pulling a loaded-down canoe on this little bike takes a little out of you, so might as well do it now before the heat starts. Temperature is supposed to get to 106 today.

Got my first view of Lake Oahe about 7:30. What an awesome sight. Not sure my pictures from here will do it justice. Very intimidating from the road. We'll find out soon how the paddling goes.
Because the lake is so low, in fact the lowest it's ever been since the dams have been put in, I had to pedal a little further than where I planned to put in. The boat ramp was closed, according to the sign at the turnoff. Ended up entering the lake at the Bush Boat Landing. Luck is on my side again. This huge lake is very calm - hardly a good walleye chop, which is just fine with me.

Man, this is a big body of water! Glad it is calm and it also helps that the water is low. It is easy to determine a bay from the main river.

I believe I made it a little over 25 miles today on the water to the Highway 212 bridge which is out in the middle of nowhere. A very easy paddle. At least for one day all my worries of rough water did not materialize.

At the 212 bridge I asked a local if it was okay to camp here. He didn't know, but he said if you look up on top of the hill there's a campground and a motel about a mile and half away. Let's see, it's been over 100 all day, do I want to camp on these rocks or do I want to check out the motel campground? Even this cheap "Coach" decided on the checking out the campground and motel.

Motel is only 50 bucks including tax, plus it has a nice restaurant. Hotel it is! I'm getting soft.

Great meal, great view, excellent first day on Lake Oahe. Although at the restaurant I heard there's a chance of severe weather tomorrow. I'll worry about that tomorrow, time for bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home