Wednesday, August 30, 2006

August 29 - Keel Park Landing to Hazelton Boat Landing and then -- HOME

Another beautiful morning. Very little wind and the current is quick. I hope to make it to Hazelton before noon. Yesterday I got some good information from a local fisherman about how to navigate this section without taking a wrong channel and ending up in a dead end.

It's amazing how low the water is around here. On my bike ride yesterday I took a couple of pictures which I hope gives you an idea. In many areas the river is less than 100 yds wide. Back in 1996 this area was over 1 or 2 miles wide. I think I've mentioned before that the water table is down 35 to 40 feet. Hard to imagine that amount of missing water. I'm sure it's made a huge impact on the economy. Many recreational areas no longer exist because the water is maybe over a mile away now.

Trip was quick as expected and I made it even faster than expected, a little after 11:00 AM. Should easily make it back to Bismarck by 3:00. My buddy Jim will be there between 3:30 and 5:00 so it should work out perfect. We will head up to Sheyenne, ND to see my cousin, Gary Hoff and his son, Troy. They are fishing Devils Lake and said they'd have a nice walleye dinner ready for us.

Lots of thoughts today. It seems just like yesterday I started this adventure. So many neat memories. So many nice people. My first thought was about how people kept doing a double take as I pedaled the C&O Canal Trail along the Potomac. I really had a great time meeting so many great people along that trail.

Then there was the bike ride across the mountains. Cars flying by and looking back through their mirror. Always wondered what they thought seeing an old man riding such a little bike. Visitors to the area probably thought that these hill people really are nuts!

On the Ohio I remember worrying about going through my first lock, just to find out it would be a piece of cake. The same was true about the barge traffic. Again, so many great people. So helpful.

The lower Missouri was more fun than I expected. In fact this and the Potomac were my favorite parts of the trip.

Least favorite is what I just completed. I did not enjoy this lake area as much as the others. I was very grateful I got to this point without much trouble, but it just got boring as time went on. You paddle forever feeling like you are going nowhere and if you noticed, I talked about few people in this area. That's because I met very few. Most boaters were a long ways off when they passed and I'm sure had no idea of what I was doing.
I still have two big lakes in front of me. Lake Sakakawea is next and then Fort Peck Lake in Montana. Hopefully by stopping now I will be re-energized next spring and ready to tackle them.

As I ride back to Bismarck I think of what really made this trip - the people. Everyone I met was wonderful. I plan to get in touch with all of you who sent an email or signed my guestbook when I get home. Your comments and encouragement help more than you know.

I think how wonderful it is to have friends like Bob and Marcia Maxwell that put up with me for a couple of days and my old friend Jim McIntyre, shuttling me back and forth along the lower Missouri and even now coming to pick me up, traveling over 1,000 miles to do so. How does one repay?

No way I could of done this without Jeff Foster Trucking of Superior shipping all my gear out to Washington, DC. I was amazed at how many people throughout my travel knew about or knew someone associated with Jeff Foster Trucking. A special thanks to you Jon Foster for making this possible. Then there was Bass Pro in St. Charles, MO. So willing in helping me out by storing my canoe and gear when I went home for a break over the 4th of July. Thanks, Bob Brownlee, Matt Prost, Wendy Jennings, Rich Dalton and all the rest of you at Bass Pro. Someday I will be back to see all of you again.

Then there's my major sponsor, Balance Bar. No way I could have even attempted this without their grant. If you haven't as of yet, go to: www.balance.com/grants/default.aspx and check out this great program.

Thanks too to Coz Rich of Rich Designs in Superior for my Atlantic to Pacific Decal. Also, ZRE for my 7 ounce paddle, PaddleBoy for my boat trailer, Dahon Bicycle for my folding bike and Kruger Canoe for probably the best canoe/kayak out there for doing such adventures.

Right now I'm really thankful for the tailwinds behind me, for I'm struggling to get back to the landing, about a mile to go.

Plans are to start shortly after Memorial Day next year. Check by every once in awhile. I'll post the rest of my pictures soon and give you an update at least once a month.

Man, this boat is getting hard to pull. Another 6 or so miles to go and I feel like I'm dragging a huge lead weight.

Oh, that is the problem. Seems I have a flat tire on my trailer!

Next year I'm going to slow down!

When I've looked at a map of the USA, even I am a little amazed at how far I've come. Even though I'm glad to be going home, I do look forward to next year. I will need to do some research between now and then, especially on the best way to navigate these next two lakes and what route to take over the Rockies. In any case, I hope everyone has enjoyed following along this year and will join me next year as we work our way to Astoria, OR.

Coach

2 Comments:

Blogger Keith Drury said...

Just now getting time to post a comment Larry. I rejoice with you! I agree that the lakes section is the hardest... I was so lonely there I approached cows to at least ahev something respond to me ;-) Fort Peck Lake was my worst--but I hit some really rough waters there.

Have a great Wintering over... and I'll be watching next Spring.
Keith

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home