Saturday, August 26, 2006

August 25 - Walth Bay to Mobridge and beyond

Unbelievable! Water is like glass this morning and not a breath of wind. I paddled into Mobridge and at 9:00 I was doing the last 3 days of journals. After breakfast, I was back on the water by 11:00.
The hope is to get to Bismarck/Mandan by Monday. My good buddy, Jim McIntyre, who helped me in the lower part of the Missouri, will again be there to meet me on Monday. Takes quite a friend to drive from Milwaukee to to pick up this old codger. Like my buddy Bob Maxwell back in Paducah, who helped me so much, I guess Jim understands if the roles were reversed, I'd do the same for him.
Also while eating breakfast, I was chatting with a guy who had some experience on the river in this area. He told me I will find alot of deadheads between here and Beaver Creek and within 30 miles Lake Oahe becomes a river again. Because the water is so low between Beaver Creek and Bismarck, there will be sections of mud flats and sandbars, making it tough to find the correct channel to paddle. On top of that, he said the current gets swifter as Lake Oahe narrows. He wasn't sure it could be paddled.
Well, we'll find out in the next few days. We will see how the arms and shoulders hold up. Time to get back to the river - see you in Bismarck/Mandan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home