Saturday, July 07, 2007

July 6th: Island by Skamokowa to Astoria Bridge

I was up early and just lay around knowing I did not have to hurry this morning. I only have 20 miles - maybe less to go to Astoria. Looks like it's going to be a great day. As of now there is only a breeze, but my plan is to cross over to the Oregon side as soon as possible where the water is shallow and I can work in and out of a number of grass islands almost all the way to Astoria. That way if the wind does come up I will not be out in this vast open water area. (Must be getting just a little smarter. Normally I'd take the straight line approach.)

As I paddled I thought I'd be thinking about all the experiences I've had along the way, but to my surprise, I thought about nothing, just paddled, took some pictures and enjoyed the morning.

Then as I came around the last little bend about 3 miles from Astoria all that changed. As I looked out I saw the Astoria Bridge in the distance, my ending point. On the left was the town of Astoria basically on a hillside. It reminded me of home as it looked like a small Duluth with the high bridge connecting Duluth with my home town of Superior.

I looked off to my right and I saw this seagull land about 10 yards away. I was in a little slack water in this bay and the seagull was out in the strong tide water just floating very fast by me. It seemed as though the seagull was looking right at me and saying, "Hey dummy! Move over here, it's a lot easier!" So I did and for about 5 minutes the seagull and I floated side by side as I gazed at the bridge and the surroundings.

As I gazed ahead it was like everything in about 10 seconds flashed before me. The start way back in Washington DC and how apprehensive I was about the trip. All the great people I met as I worked my way along the Potomac. The crossing of the Appalachian Mountains. Camping with the nice people along the Ohio and Missouri. My friend Bob Maxwell and his wife, Marcia helping me out at Paducah. My friend Jim McIntyre helping along the Missouri and now again he will be meeting me around noon to take me home. My cousin Gary Hoff who got me and my gear to my starting point in Bismarck this year. Then this year, the tipping over on Lake Sakakawea and wanting to quit, only to know I couldn't. The help I got in Williston when my trailer broke. The ride over the Rockies. The Barrazza family in Orofino who kept my gear as I biked over the Rockies. The hassles of the Columbia in the wind surfing areas. All the people that made this possible. Especially Balance Bar, Jeff Foster Trucking and Bass Pro. I thought how much I would once again like to thank them and all the other special people who were there to help me when I needed it most. Then, as I was approaching the bridge thoughts switched to my family and how supportive they've been. My wife LuAnn, sons Dean and Eric, daughter Heidi and grandkids, Devin, Drake, Ryah, Liv, Rory and Lily. GrandPa will be home soon!

The water is starting to get rough. I only have about 200 yards to go and the waves are picking up so my thoughts go back to getting to the bridge before I flip over. I manage to do so. I go directly under the bridge and take a picture straight up at it. Then I swing around a pillar and head over to the shoreline by the Holiday Inn Express motel. As I went by the motel I noticed a small sandy beach and it was the only place I saw where I could land, for everything else along the way was high walls and piers.

As I pulled up there was a man and his boy. They were the first people I met and were kind enough to take a picture in front of my boat. A few minutes later others came down to see what I was doing. Once they found out, they seemed more excited than I. I took a picture of them and they ran back up to get their cameras and did the same. They also were kind enough to help me get my canoe and gear up to a small park next to the motel.

Well, I'm done. Once again I start thinking about all that has happened. (I will write more about this in a later blog) It all started by looking at a sign in the Cascade Mountains years ago on a family trip, which said, " A walk to Mexico" and my wife looking at it and saying, "No, you're not!" That led to walking the Pacific Crest Trail, which led to a bicycle ride around the perimeter of the USA and then this. Even now to me it seems a little amazing. Maybe a little meaningless history for I've not been able to find any information on anyone else doing such. I passed thousands of people having no idea what I'm doing. I'm not even sure many people are reading this journal, but I do hope for those that are and for the many people I did meet, they too follow their dreams. Life is too short not to. I, for one, do not want to sit around waiting for the guy to come cover me over with his shovel! Do you?

Ryan, "WE MADE IT!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home