Tuesday, August 22, 2006

August 21st Chamberlain to West of Cedar Creek Landing on Lake Sharpe

I must admit I was a little down last night. After bouncing around on the lake and meeting the guy in the rubberized canoe I got to thinking about what is ahead. Two things: First, I will go nuts if I have to stay ashore windbound or make less than 25 miles a day. Second, the look on face of the guy I met was not good. I've been there, maybe for other reasons, while on my perimeter bike ride, and it is no place I want to go back to. I've been feeling pretty good the last few months and this adventure has been great so far. I do not need to fall backwards. So I hope for good weather and if need be, I will bike some.

Heck, my worry of last night turned into a great day - at least for today. The wind was supposed to be out of the north, which would be right in my face, but instead it is mostly out of the east which helps a lot for I'm going northeast and many times east. Also the water has been relatively calm all day.

I made it to Fort Thompson at around 12:30. As I ate lunch, I met a number of American Natives who were really interested in what I was doing. We chatted about a number of things for the next half hour. As I was getting ready for the ride around Big Bend Dam one of the guys said I could cut off the big bend in the river by riding about 15 miles and then taking a back road to where Medicine Creek flows into the Missouri. Sounded good to me. Except the gentlemen for got to mention the 2 plus mile hill I had to push my bike and canoe up! Finally did make it to the river and now the wind was straight from the east and I'm heading west!

The rest of the day was very good. I just got lost in my thoughts (mad at myself for getting down last night) and hoped the rest of this journey to Mandan is as good as today.

Finally stopped paddling at around 9:00. Because of the good conditions I wanted to get as many miles as I could in. Made camp near Cedar Creek, ate and fell right to sleep.

Good day and I feel good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home